Monday, January 20, 2014

Week 8 in Ecuador

January 13, 2014

This week was pretty good!  We´ve been working in Los Ceibos, which is like the the outskirts to the north of Santa Rosa.  We can generally walk there, but it does take a little while.  Every time we meet someone there or we tell someone we work there, people keep telling us that it´s dangerous and that we shouldn´t be there and that we should be careful or whatnot, but that´s where we, the hermanas, have been assigned, so I guess that´s where God wants us.  We haven´t had any problems with anyone whatsoever, but we always have to make sure that we have a way to get home safely at night when it´s dark.  We either have to take the bus (the last one for el centro leaves at 7:20, an hour and a half before we have to be home), try and catch a taxi (hard to find way out there at that time of night), ask a member in the area if he can drive us to our house, or walk with members and have a man with us.  A little complicated.  But don´t worry mom, we´re always being safe and following the rules.  I can´t promise that I won´t talk to strangers, because that´s kind of the point of what I´m doing here.

We´ve been dropping and gaining investigators all week it feels.  Every day our number of investigators with fechas (baptismal dates) fluctuates it seems.  Like on Saturday we dropped three investigators but got two more, and yesterday we got three more.  Right now we´re at 11 fechas, we´ll see how the rest of the day goes.  

I´ve eaten some interesting things this week!  On Monday we had ceviche con camaron y concha, or in other words, shrimp and CLAMS.  That was the first time I ate clams...they were kind of weird.  I don´t think I like them.  On Saturday, we had also had crab!  Now THAT was interesting.  I´ve decided I like crab but it takes too much effort to eat it.  That reminds me, I don´t think I´ll ever be able to use a fork ever again, and only knives when it´s absolutely necessary.  We eat everything with spoons and now I can´t imagine using anything else.  It just makes so much sense.  

I´ve also been learning the differences in bananos (erm, bananas).  I think they have different stages that people buy them in, I´m still a little confused haha.  There´s verdes y plátanos maduros y bananos or something like that, I don´t really know anymore.  My companion´s laughing at me as I write.  She still hasn´t stopped, she´s still laughing.  Yup.  She says she doesn´t actually get it much either, and she´s from Honduras.  Oh and there´s also a difference between español and castellano, because people keep asking me if I speak castellano.  I think español refers to what they speak in Spain whereas castellano is Latin American Spanish.  I dunno.  I´m generally confused.

Other random tidbits: I literally have a million mosquito bites on my leg, it´s actually drawing attention (the worst is standing outside and talking to investigators as it´s getting dark and I can´t stop and just start spraying repellent in the middle of the conversation).  I also realized that a vast majority of this family in the branch literally has Lauren´s eyes.  One of their daughters accompanied us for an afternoon and it was freaking me out.  Full trunky.

One last serious thing:  I´m so glad that I´m sealed to my family in the temple.  I´ve seen so many families and people who are part member families or are with someone who isn´t a member and the heartache they go through because they can´t be sealed to their spouse and children and parents is heartbreaking.  I´m so grateful that you and dad were married in the temple and that I was born in the covenant.  Now I know more than ever that I want to marry in the church so that I can be sealed in the temple.  Nothing is more important.  I love you and everyone else in our family so much.  

Love, 
Hermana Iverson

No comments:

Post a Comment