Sunday, April 27, 2014

Ecuador Week 20

April 7, 2014

Hey mom!  Yeah, cambios are just a crazy part of life here.  They´re never expected and they happen often.  There are almost more cambios in the six weeks between cambios than there are on the day of cambios.  It´s normal.  My last companion, Hermana Catmull, she never unpacked her suitcases because she almost routinely got cambios every 3-4 weeks on average.  The longest she ever stayed in a sector was 7 weeks.  But she´s an extreme case.

I´m glad that General Conference was so great for you guys...it wasn´t for us.  My companion and I got sick two days before and we didn´t fully recover until yesterday.  So for that, we didn´t have anyone to bring and could only go to the Saturday morning session.  I was seriously seriously bummed.  But we stopped by for the Sunday morning session to see if one of our investigators was going to stop by (he didn´t...we waited outside awkwardly for him and couldn´t go inside), and I saw a whole bunch of people from the Alamos ward that I just left.  It was super nice! 
Katie with Yinson at his baptism
The good news though is that last night after conference we had a baptism!  His name is Yinson and he´s literally one of the best investigators I´ve ever had.  Definitely an escogido (sorry not exactly sure how that translates).  He has such a strong testimony and even though he´s twice our age (he´s a 40-year-old single dad) he´s become a really good friend of ours.  He would ask a bajillion questions, and we would somehow always have the answer for him.  It was so cool.  His baptism was one of the most spiritual baptisms I´ve attended, despite the scarce attendance (three members from the ward showed up).  I´m so happy for him.  I just know he´s going to do great things.  He always says he´s going to visit us in the US haha.

This Wednesday, so in two days, I hit my 6 month mark!  I don´t know how it went by so fast.  I only have exactly a year left until I go home!  This is much stranger than when Nathan was on his mission, especially since he was out for six months longer than I´ll be.
Katie is super happy!  Loved her package.  Thank you Jill!
Oh yeah, and this week I got a package!  It was actually from the Juchau´s!  It had peanut butter which made me laugh because I remembered what you had told me.  It definitely made me feel better when I was sick.  I think it was supposed to be a Christmas package, but I didn´t get it until April 1st...the thing is packages get to Ecuador fast enough, but they just sit in the mission office for the loooooooongest time, it´s so annoying.  Like just give me my mail, darn it.  I still haven´t gotten Neeharika´s or Angela´s letters.  I´ve given up hope with those.  
A typical lunch.  Katie eats this everyday!
But yeah, that´s all my news for now.  Hope everything is all chill now that everyone´s home.  I think Nathan gets home in just a couple weeks, right?  Ya mismo!  Love you all,

Love,
Hermana Iverson

No comments:

Post a Comment