Friday, April 24, 2015

Cambios! (transfers)

January 19, 2015
Katie and her new companion, Hermana Risco


Some big changes here this week.  First of all, I had cambios!  They called me Monday night, and I already kind of knew.  My time had come.  The next day we went to Guayaquil, and after waiting for a very long time, I found out where I was going, and I was so excited, because I´M NOT IN SANTA ROSA OR CUENCA!!!  POR FINNNNNN!!!!!!!!  I am in a town called Catamayo, which is about 30-45 minutes west of Loja.  Loja is sierra as well as Cuenca, and even though I had heard that it isn´t as cold as Cuenca, it still was reasonably cold.  I knew that Catamayo was in the general region of Loja, so I thought it would be chilly there too.  Welp I was a little mistaken there.  It´s so strange, because I know I´m in the sierra but I feel like I´m in the coast: it´s super hot and sunny, there are tons of bugs (I have so many nasty mosquito bites), and I got a crazy sunburn my first day.  I guess it´s at a lower altitude, and is in a valley, kind of like a bowl, and the sun just comes straight down here.  But Saturday a thunderstorm randomly kicked in, with lightning and everything (it was so cool!!); it´s been raining off and on ever since.  It´s actually raining right now, and I thought it was going to be sunny again...oops.
The other exciting thing is that I´m training!  The cambio (or transfer period of 6 weeks) having started over again last week, I got sent to Catamayo to finish training my current companion, my first hijastra (stepdaughter).  My companion is Hermana Risco, and she´s from Iquitos, Peru.  This is her second cambio in the mission, so she´s only been here in Catamayo and the mission for 6 weeks.  I was a little anxious when I heard that I was going to train, but then I got here and realized my companion is so pilas that I practically don´t have anything to worry about.  She´s super great, always stopping to talk to everyone we see.  I think this will work out fine.
Other than that, I got some mail this week! I got two packages and two cards: I got one Christmas package from the Poelmans, and a really cute Christmas card from the Relief Society back in the Foothill Ward that came in the other package.  I also got your (our?) Christmas card, and it turned out really cute!  I liked it a lot.  I also got a Christmas card from Kay Harrison from the ward there in Temecula.  I was pretty impressed, because I received most of my Christmas letters and packages last year in February, March, April... but I was really excited to receive all of that mail at the same time.
Welp, for now that´s all the news I´ve got.

Love, 
Hermana Iverson
p.s. yesterday we were reading the story of Elijah and the 450 priests when they try to see whose god can start the fire first, and there´s one verse that´s super funny, it´s in 1 Kings 18:27

No comments:

Post a Comment