Friday, April 24, 2015

Chútica I forgot how cold it gets here

July 21, 2014

So this week wasn´t as exciting as last week...but it had its moments.  Mostly this week was spent trying to find people and them not being home.  That are continually having people tell us they weren´t interested when the Spirit in the room was so strong you could have cut it with a knife.  Like after one lesson with very nice, very faithful woman who was very not interested in the Church even after that very spiritual lesson, I said to my companion: "I´m really tired of watching people deny the Spirit."  Pero la plena, that´s been happening all week.  I had that challenge to talk to 100 people a day, and even though I never even got anywhere close to that number (10 was our record), we were still really working hard to put ourselves out there and try and talk to as many people as we could.  We were teaching people all the time, but none of them have progressed.  It´s been really frustrating, especially when the only people we do find that are interested in listening to us don´t live in our sector.  Our sector is huge, but how it works is that the people we find either don´t live here or are barely home if they do live here.  Yup.  

But other than that, I like my sector.  It´s really pretty here in Cuenca, and it´s neat because we have part of the city center in our sector.  Do you remember when I took a picture in front of that cathedral and sent a picture way back in April?  That was the Cathedral San Blas, and that is now in my sector.  Pretty cool.
Katie & Hermana Adams trying to stay warm

I really don´t know what else to talk about.  Nothing else overly interesting happened this week, just little funny things here and there.  Like how on Wednesday we were at a less active member´s house, and we were sitting in a room right off the main gate, and in the middle of the lesson as I happened to look outside the door (I was sitting closest to it) at their mini-yard in front of the gate, there were suddenly a bunch of cows passing right through the gate toward the back of the house.  It was so unexpected that it scared me, and I jumped about half a foot in the air, and I might have even yelled, I don´t remember very well.  I just remember it scared me so badly hahaha.  I scared my companion and everyone else in the room and everyone burst out laughing at my reaction as four cows were ushered by the abuelita to the back of the property.  By the time we finally all calmed down and the cows were gone, exactly at that moment there was a loud mooing right outside the door, and it scared me even worse this time.  I remember, that time I did scream, and made my companion scream because I had screamed.  As we broke out laughing even harder, the member mentioned that there were in fact five cows.  Kind of figured that out the hard way haha.
Katie's Zone

Any other stories...welp on Saturday we tried carrying a box of copies of the Book of Mormon from our zone meeting to our house (the chapel was like a less than 10-minute walk away), and Hermana Adams, my companion, was carrying it.  It was really heavy, so we tried sharing it by balancing it using her jacket as a hammock thing, but it wasn´t working.  I put down my end to try and balance it, but she ended up with most of the weight, and since she didn´t have it balanced either, she dropped the (heavy) box right on my big toe.  Needless to say, after laughing for several minutes, she continued carrying it as I limped the whole way home.  It got better and stopped hurting though, so don´t worry.

But yeah, nothing else to report.  I miss you all and I hope you´re all doing well.  I can´t believe it´s already been almost two weeks since I left.  Feels like I just got here.  Time goes by so fast here in the mission.  I´m so so so so so happy to be back though.  I didn´t realize how much I truly missed it.  This is where I feel I belong.  

Love you all,
Hermana Iverson

p.s. Oh!  Almost forgot.  We went and picked up two hermanas from the bus terminal this afternoon.  They´re going to put hermanas in Azogues, the town about an hour north of us.  There have only been elders there, so that´s exciting!  Even better is that one of them is Hermana Whitmore, whom I lived with in Santa Rosa for two months and we be tight.  Love that girl. :)
Saw this in el centro today--I really love English mistakes here hahaha.  But really my companion and I were laughing so hard when we saw this haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment